Some parents choose to purchase a few different carriers so that they can wear their babies from newborn to toddler. I personally loved wearing my babies, and still do! My husband does to, and I think it makes him feel more involved in parenting, especially when he is away at work for most of the day. My own mother has even gotten in on the baby wearing love, proof that grandparents can reap the benefits as well!
Let's demystify the concept of baby wearing. There are so many benefits, so many types of carriers to choose from, and so many ways to go about it. Your approach will be unique to yours and your baby's needs. When you use baby wearing as a parenting tool, it can be an extremely effective way to strengthen your bond with your children!
Benefits for Baby (and Mom too!) from Babywearing International
- Less crying (which means a happier baby AND a happier household)
- Closeness calms the baby’s new, and sometimes overstimulated, nervous system
- More in tune with baby’s subtle cues, including hunger cues
- You and your partner can become confident, loving caregivers with a strong attachment to baby
- Comfort and convenience for parents - whether nursing, hiking, walking, cooking, etc.
- Wraparound Sling - simple piece of cloth, wrapped around mother and used to fasten baby to her front or side.
- Good for - newborns to toddlers
- Brands - Moby, K’Tan
- Ring Sling - Shawl with a pair of rings attached to one end that act as fasteners. Usually, they are made with beautiful fabrics that can even be dressed up for certain occasions.
- Good for - newborn to toddler
- Brands - BabyEtte, Comfy Joey, Kalea Baby, among many others
- Find more info at www.becomingmamas.com/babywearing/ring-slings-pouches
- Mei Tais - Wrap consists of a body panel, shoulder straps, and waist straps. Can be fitted to different sized caregivers and include accessories in some cases.
- Good for - newborn to older baby
- Brands - Mei Tai Baby, Infantino
- Soft Structured Carriers - Includes body panel, shoulder straps, and waist straps all fitted with adjustable buckles. Versatile for different sized caregivers. Many different ways to carry including front, side, and back.
- Good for - 4 months and up to toddler
- Brands - Ergo baby
Popularity is quickly on the rise so many carriers can be found in mainstream baby stores and specialty stores such as Target, Right Start, and secondhand stores. Online, there are many retailers including Etsy, Amazon, Diapers.com, and small online shops. Take care, with some carriers you may want to try it on before purchasing! A doula or postpartum doula can help you in your decision as well, as sometimes we have a variety of wraps to bring into your home and let you try on before making a final investment.
For more information
- Join a Facebook group
- Join a mom's group and ask questions
- Search the Internet, including sites such as Baby Wearing International and Dr. Sears Online
- Read books on attachment parenting
- Let me help you!